Learning to live with Celiac Disease one day at a time

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Just an update

I can't believe that my last post was about Christmas baking!  That's long gone, and we've been working our way through lots of cakes since.  Unfortunately, I haven't been baking as much this last month as I've started my Masters (teaching) and that's all I can wrap my head around.  However, when I procrastinate, it usually involved food, so there have been times when I've whipped up a soup, bread and baking all in the space of a few hours.  I think that all of the sitting conserves energy and then I put that into my food prep.

A wonderful friend returned from the USA the other day bearing gluten-free gifts of chocolate-covered mint Jelly Bellies, "Food Should Taste Good" tortilla crackers, and...o to fix a craving I've had for so long!...Bob's Red Mill Pizza Dough mix.  I haven't used the mix yet (the other things are almost gone...and I refuse to share these ones!) but it's on my list of 'things to procrastinate by."  The other day I tried sliced ham and didn't seem to have any kind of reaction that I know of, so I will be adding that periodically to my eating list.  There's a homemade Hawaiian pizza on my horizon!

My in-laws are coming for a 5 week visit at the end of March, and they're going to bring us some goodies.  I just need to send them a list and they'll haul it all halfway across the globe for us.  My problem is that I don't know what I should be asking for!  I would appreciate any suggestions for gluten-free mixes and crackers/cookies.  I do know that I have specifics, like more of those tortilla crackers, and some Kinnickinick pancake mix.  Delicious!

One thing I have discovered here is Orgran's gluten-free licorice.  It is really, really good black licorice, and the flavour lasts a long time.  Just finished my bag yesterday and am looking forward to the next time I head into Jakarta for a food shop.  The problem is that those kinds of things are sometimes just 'one time only' and then we never see them again.

Time to start my day.
Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. From:
    Leonardo Poedjirahardjo
    Jl. Bandengan Utara 81 no A. 16.
    Jakarta 14440, Indonesia
    Phone : +62-21-70131825
    Hp : +62-81-65432-649
    Fax : +82-21-66602052
    Email : kwankwoliang@yahoo.com


    Dear Sir / Madam,

    We would like to inform you that we, a very small company in Jakarta, Indonesia, produce and sell gluten-free rice cakes like the one sold in western countries (United states, Australia, Canada, UK). So far we have received some orders from some expatriates / foreigners from Australia, Holland and American who work in Indonesia or travel to Indonesia and looking for gluten-free food. They are all satisfied.
    Not many Indonesians eat these western style rice cakes so our distribution is quite limited to only several stores. But they can be ordered by email .

    These rice cake can be ordered directly from us (kwankwoliang@yahoo.com) or can be found in some stores in Jakarta:
    - Supermarket Rezeki – Jl. Hayam Wuruk; Ph: 021-3800182
    - Toko Buat Total-Taman Palem Lestari; Ph: 021-5454545
    - Club Sehat Jl. Cideng Barat 62B; Ph: 021-91263363
    - Club Sehat Jl. Pluit Sakti Raya 33; Ph: 021-91300234
    Or can be ordered from an on line shop to be sent anywhere: Sentra Camilan Nusantara,
    http://www.sentracamilannusantara.com/

    Yours Sincerely,

    Leonardo Poedjirahardjo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim! I've been following your blog for a while now and it's been a big encouragement to me. I'm a fairly new Celiac (diagnosed 9 months ago) and I live just upstairs to you on Sumatra. Whenever we have visitors and they ask "What can I bring you?" I think "What CAN'T you bring?!" I usually ask for tamari, gf oats, and beef and chicken bouillon. Our last visitor brought a bunch of Betty Crocker GF cookie and brownie mixes and they were really good! It's been really nice to have a non from scratch option for treats. Good luck making your selections!

    ReplyDelete