Learning to live with Celiac Disease one day at a time

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Yorkshire Pudding

It's been an incredibly long time since I've written, and in that time I've been learning more about Gluten Free cooking/baking in my kitchen.  I haven't, thankfully, thrown out quite as much stuff as I did in my first year.  In fact, things are starting to taste pretty good!  Cooking/baking gluten free is not so much experimentation for me as it is elimination, because there are oodles of recipes out there to try, but not every one is worth trying a second time.  I love it when I try something from online or one of my cookbooks and it turns out lovely.  For example, tonight we had roast beef, gravy and yorkshire pudding.  It was my first attempt at the puddings, and I was thrilled.  They didn't look like the ones my mom makes, but they were fluffy on the inside, not too doughy and not too greasy.  If you're interested, check out this link on celiac.com.  I didn't have to alter anything, and they tasted like regular, wheat flour based yorkshire puddings.

Right now we're at the end of Ramadan, the month of praying and fasting for the Islamic world.  Today is the first day of Idul Fitri (our greeting for today is "Selamat Hari Raya Idul Fitri"), which is 2 days of celebrating the end of Ramadan (there's so much more to it...something to google!).  One of our employees brought us some traditional Indonesian foods to try, and it was a treat to be able to eat it.  We had steamed rice wrapped in banana leaf, rendang (spicy beef), and some very spicy, soupy veggies that I am not able to identify.  A super contrast to our traditional roast beef and yorkshire pudding dinner.  Right now our 14 year old daughter is in Kenya and she will be eating roast goat, with the option to drink it's blood as well.  Not my idea of the ideal meal, but hey, I just ate a hunk of beef with the fat poured all over it.  All a matter of perspective.

thanks for reading.




No comments:

Post a Comment