Learning to live with Celiac Disease one day at a time

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Absolutely...Magnificent!

Of all the weeks since this new year has started, this last one has been the worst.  I'm not sure why, but now I'm definitely cutting out all dairy, including butter, to see if that helps.  I've already cut out ice cream, cheese, whipped cream, sour cream (all the fun ones), etc but kept butter and dark chocolate as "food improvers."  Those are out of the picture now too, and I'm hoping that's only for a while.

Last Saturday my husband came home from the gym and had done something to put his back out.  With him having had back surgeries in 2003, we both realize how important it is to lay low with back pain.  We ended up just hanging out at home all weekend, which was a bit of a bummer for me because I'd been in the house a lot the week prior, editing and feeling a bit 'off.'  We'd planned on driving around the area and checking out some stores together that he rarely gets to see...more my thrill than his.  The 'off' feeling grew, and came to a head on Tuesday night.  My helper had tried a new fish dish, fried dorry pieces glazed with a sweet mayonnaise sauce, and i don't know if it was the food or the ingredients, but I ended up spending time with my head in a bucket later that evening.  Not intending to gross anyone out, I'll spare details.  I would like to share that I had gone with Tris earlier to get a massage (what good wife wouldn't go and get a $9 1 1/2 hour massage in support of her husband??)  and as usual I left the establishment showered but with oil-slicked hair (they love to use the oil!!).

I know that I looked bad, because Wednesday morning when our driver arrived, I slipped on appropriate clothes (modesty is the rule here, always) and headed out to tell him what I needed him to do that day.  The look on his face was priceless, because as I stepped outside his head popped up and his eyes got so wide that I could barely see his forehead.  "You sick, Mrs????"

What is really funny with this whole scenario is that I had slipped on a new t-shirt for bed on Tuesday night, one that I had bought as '$3 shopping therapy.'  After my bout with the bucket and my greasy massage, I looked absolutely...Absolutely.  I looked in the bathroom mirror at my glassy eyes, grey pallor, greasy hair stuck everywhere, and just below my head, on my t-shirt, read:  "gor.geous (gor'-jes) adj. 1. The quality of being Brilliant, MAGNIFICENT 2. Attractive, Beautiful, Dazzling, Lovely. 3. all of the above, all the time, everyday.

Needless to say, I headed immediately to bed for some beauty rest!

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment