Learning to live with Celiac Disease one day at a time

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Slow As Molasses

What I've learned from my other blog is that when I feel like writing about something that is important to me and only me, but seems rather trivial to the rest of the entire world, write about it anyways.  Over the last almost 3 years we've lived in Indonesia and I've blogged each step of the way.  I've blogged through loneliness, sickness, trips to Bali, Lombock and around Jakarta, visits to slums, walks around our own Lippo Village; I've written about sports days, lazy days, sad days, cooking classes that have taken place in my kitchen, English lessons taught in a cemetary, birthdays celebrated, reunions with friends and family, struggles with the language, rodents and lizards in and around our house, a friend and I finding (and eating) "rodent" poop next to my fridge (I still laugh when I think of how shocked my kids were when I popped a "poop" into my mouth...), hot days, incredibly loud and sometimes dangerous thunderstorms...and the list goes on.  When I go over the posts I am amazed at how much I have already forgotten, and how it's wonderful to have the memories stored somewhere other than my own mind.  Thankfully they are stored somewhere other than my own mind or they'd be lost forever!!!  And so today...

As I wander along this path of "getting to know Celiac disease," I am surprised regularly by how little I know about how my body will respond, and when I think I've got it figured out, things change.  Last weekend I was in Singapore talking to a doctor, who I admit made me feel less anxious by her knowledge of how to treat my symptoms.  After I returned home on Monday night, I kept busy throughout the week.  Nothing felt different and I don't think I did anything different.  By Friday night, I had to cancel a games night with friends because of a variety of symptoms including lethargy and fever.  I slept on and off until Saturday, 1 pm, between getting up to make breakfast and to wander the house.  I NEVER stay in bed until the afternoon so I have no idea what that was about.  Today is Tuesday and I'm still lethargic, even after eating regularly and taking my vitamins.  Now I need to figure out what's going on but there's just nothing to put my finger on, except I was too busy last week.  One thing I think I need to remind myself is that celiac is not an allergy, it's an autoimmune disease, and quite possibly I've been fighting off something for days.  I guess time will tell, but right now I'm off to pilates to see if I can't conjure up some energy by stretching and twisting and most likely sweating a little.

Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I am a Coeliac based in Singapore and am sorry to hear you have Coeliac disease as it can be harder in SE Asia than in Canada, UK, US or Australia, where there are lots of gluten free products available. Having said that, I was excited to find your blog as it is always helpful to hear other people's experiences going through the same. I was diagnosed 6 years ago and feel better being on a gluten free diet than even before. It took about 2 years for the lethargy to completely vanish and to feel 100% day to day (as long as I avoid gluten). It does get better! I am posting about my experiences at http://singaporecoeliac.blogspot.com/ hopefully they can be of some use to you when you visit Singapore. Feel free to email me if you have any questions singapore.coeliac@gmail.com

    Looking forward to hearing about your discoveries and experiences in Indonesia and throughout the region!

    Miss Gluten Free Singapore

    ReplyDelete