Learning to live with Celiac Disease one day at a time

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Maltodextrin and caramel colouring...yes or no?

Imagine my excitement when I did a little research online and discovered that I can eat maltodextrin.  For 8 months now I've avoided that ingredient diligently and it was great to discover that it's a possibility for Celiacs.  I have also bounced around and read a bit about caramel colour, and it seems that it's a possibility in some products as well.  Seems that anything with maltodextrin in it that is made in the US or Canada, unless otherwise labelled, is supposedly safe.  Apparently North American companies must specify if it is wheat-based maltodextrin or not.  If it's not, I'm told it's ok to assume it's made from a different source.
According to some sites (I haven't contacted any companies myself at this point), Coke and A&W rootbeer made in North America are also made from gluten-free caramel colour.  This is great, if this is true, and it makes me want to run out and buy myself a rootbeer NOW.  Admittedly, I tried.  I had figured that A&W would be an import here in Indonesia, but unfortunately there was Indonesian on the can and no import stickers.  I'd chance it with a NA rootbeer but not with an Asian one.  Another thing to look forward to when I visit Canada next summer, and in the meantime I will do a little more research on all of this.  If it is indeed true that I can eat North American made products that have maltodextrin in them, then that opens up a lot of potential for things like ranch dressing, french onion dip, etc.  However, I'm learning not to jump into things just because of a few things I've read, and so I continue to search the net.  It's interesting to see the different perspectives given from different countries (ie/ Britain vs. Australia vs. Canada & the US), but it's very confusing, too.
And so my googling continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment