Learning to live with Celiac Disease one day at a time

Friday, October 7, 2011

GF Rootbeer

Eureka!  Not only did I find a gluten-free rootbeer, I found one that tastes JUST like the rootbeer my Grandpa Jim used to make.  He'd make a batch every few years, bottle it into green plastic pop bottles, and  store it in the basement of his summer cabin at the lake.  This was no ordinary cabin...not only was it built by hand in the '50s, but it was built against a hill.  The end result for a child growing up in the '80s was a dank, musty-smelling, drippy basement that you entered under the back porch and literally walked partially into a hill.  The cement breathed cool and it was actually a perfect place to stand and cool down on a hot summer's day.  That's where Grandpa Jim stored his rootbeer, and it was a treasure trove.

Last weekend I was shopping at a western-type grocery store, and I found Virgil's Micro-Brewed Rootbeer.   I was intrigued just because it towered above the other sodas in a tall, brown, glass bottle.  I was thrilled when I read the ingredients (all natural) and they ended with "gluten free."  Every day I've thought about opening the bottle and enjoying it, but I had to savour the idea for a while.  Tonight was spaghetti night, with GF rounds of french bread and a tasty green salad.  Tonight was the night.  Although it says 'serve chilled (without ice),' I added a few ice cubes and it was lovely.

Living in Indonesia can be bittersweet, because it's possible that I will go back to the same store in a few weeks and this rootbeer may no longer be on the shelves.  However, if it is, I may just have to buy a few bottles to tuck away for other Friday Night Spaghetti Nights:)

No comments:

Post a Comment