Learning to live with Celiac Disease one day at a time

Monday, October 10, 2011

Just Say 'NO!' to Oats

I've read about all the confusion and differing opinions on oats and Celiac Disease, and deep down inside I had hoped that I was one of those "oat ables."  I even bought a bag of GF oats and GF oat flour when I was back in Canada.  After reading through an old recipe book and after days of dreaming of crispy-edged coconut oatmeal cookies, I made a large, slightly altered GF batch of golden cookies.  They look good, only falling apart a little (*sigh*), and they taste great.  I even had one for breakfast, since oatmeal is often the breakfast of choice for many.  That was a mistake.  It was a good thing to do in that I learned that oats are NOT my friend, but a bad thing to do on an empty stomach.  Twenty-four hours from their birth, I have already verbally given away the oats to another Celiac in the area (yeah!  Two of us around here now) and the cookies will go into the rest of my family's lunches.  Another *sigh*.

No comments:

Post a Comment