Learning to live with Celiac Disease one day at a time

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Go for the Gold: gluten free condensed milk and kecap manis


Sometimes I have to trust labels and know that even though they don't say 'gluten free,' without gluten-based ingredients on the list, I can eat the product.  That seems to be what I have to do here in Indonesia, and learn through trial and error.
Black Gold kecap manis:  
For the longest time I've been avoiding an Indonesian staple condiment, kecap manis (sweet soy sauce), because it contains gluten.  Just recently, after my patient husband spend a good amount of time reading the ingredient labels on every brand of kecap manis on the grocery store shelf, he discovered a wheat-free brand.  After a few trials, it seems that it is one more item that I can put on my "can eat" list.

Frisian Flag Susu Kental Manis (sweetened condensed milk) Gold:
One of my favourite sweet snacks is Granny Smith apple slices dipped in caramel sauce, and because it's such an easy recipe (see below), our family likes to eat it often.  Fortunately, after eating caramel dip and not knowing if I felt uneasy afterwards because of the unnamed stabilizers in the condensed milk, or because of the dairy, I no longer have to wonder.  If I take my lactose-intolerance tablet aids and eat caramel dip made from Frisian Flag susu kental manis, I have no symptoms.  After reading the labels of all other condensed milks, which contain a lot of unnamed stabilizers and emulsifiers, I've found that this particular brand doesn't have any stabilizers or emulsifiers to worry about.  



Easy Caramel Dip:
Buy at least three 385g cans of condensed milk, remove the labels, and place in a pot.  Cover the cans with water until the water sits just above the tops.  Boil the pot of water for at least 4 hours.  Remove the cans from the water, cool and open.   Serve with tart, sliced green Granny Smith apples.
You can also make this caramel dip in a crock pot using the same method, except boil for a bit longer than 4 hours.  I made some today in my crock pot and boiled the cans for 5 hours.

Thanks for reading.



No comments:

Post a Comment