Learning to live with Celiac Disease one day at a time

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Gluten Free Chips in Indonesia

Our school has just had a Christmas Bazaar, and I was pleasantly surprised to find not one, but TWO booths selling gluten free items.  If you live in a western country, this would probably be a shockingly low number, considering how the gluten-free craze is spreading.  However, that's not the case here in Indonesia.  Once in a while I run into someone who is familiar with the term gluten free, but it's usually an Ex-Patriate or someone who has lived overseas.  Usually.

One of these booths was selling Tinkada macaroni shells, and although it cost me over $8 for the bag, I reasoned myself into the sale, telling myself that I never really eat out, and non-mushy noodles would be such a treat!  It's easy to find the Australian Orgran's pasta here, but no matter which type of noodles I try, they all mush out on me.  I also treated myself to 2 bags of GF cheddar cheese powder, so I've got my weekend lunch ready and waiting:)

The one thing that I am absolutely thrilled about is the discovery of Wai Lana's cassava chips.  One of the parents in our school produces these GF snacks and exports them all over.  Sadly, they don't usually sell them in Indonesia, but I'm holding onto hope that one day they will be on the shelves.  Needless to say, I bought 10 bags of a variety of flavours, and these will be my Christmas party treats when I head out to any social events for this holiday season.  Thai Curry & Lime is my favourite, with Swiss Cheese holding a close second.  They also sell Salt and Vinegar, which I'm determined to get my hands on one day.

Thankfully, I did discover that the local grocery store does carry a similar chip, one that I have always thought was NOT gluten free, called Maxi Cassava Crackers (also sell chips, too).  Apparently these ARE gluten free, but Indonesian doesn't require the labeling and so us Celiacs would never know unless we talked to the owner herself.  They are tasty and great when you are looking for a crunchy snack.

I've read the nutritional information and neither chip/cracker is highly nutritious, but when you are looking for a snack and all that is out there is covered in gluten-based powders, these are a little piece of tasty heaven, with no MSG.  I can find them in our local HyperMart, and so I figure they should be available in other ones as well.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment