Learning to live with Celiac Disease one day at a time

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Island Eating

Bunaken National Park, Sulawesi, Indonesia
In a week our family is packing up for 5 days and heading north to the seashore.  I've always wanted to say that, "heading to the seashore."  We have almost always lived on an island and the shore has always just 'been there,' so NOW we get to 'head there.' I have to admit, I am really excited about it and have been looking forward to it since we booked our tickets last November.  This is the first time that I have had to think ahead about what I am going to eat, and since where we're heading is rather primitive (no hotel, a simple bamboo villa will do, thank you) I am anticipating simple fare.  My husband has contacted the first place that we're staying at in Bunaken National Park (still in Indonesia, an island cluster just below the Philippines) and he figures that they're a little nervous about me coming.  It doesn't sound like they get too many "special food needs" people there.  It seems they want me to cook my own meals with food that they have provided.  My opinion?  Bring it on!  What better way to learn the local cuisine than to cook it myself?  I'm actually pretty sure that being as remote as it is supposed to be, it'll mostly be fresh meat/fish/poultry, some greens and rice, along with the normally offered 'western' fare of pastas and deep fried foods.   Have Braggs, will travel!

No comments:

Post a Comment