Learning to live with Celiac Disease one day at a time

Monday, May 16, 2011

Big Huge Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

I KNOW that I just posted yesterday, but I'm so excited that I have successfully made some deliciously moist gluten-free chocolate chip cookies that I had to share the recipe immediately.  I wasn't sure what flour combination to use and didn't want to ruin yet another batch of baking, but was inspired by a wise man who once said "enjoy the process."  Actually, that great man was my husband, who was sitting on the couch watching me fret over how much it was going to cost me to make anything from the North American blogs that give me North American purchasing advice.  My solution was to take a flour mixture recipe recommended by a friend, and tweak it to include flours I have in my fridge.  Below the cookie recipe is the flour mix I used.  A little bit of flour from Australia, a little from Singapore, and some purchased in Jakarta. I realize this flour combination may not be one that can easily be repeated, but I'm pretty convinced that other flour combinations can be used in substitution.  Worse case scenario, you end up with a chocolatey flat cake, filled with chewy raisins and walnuts!


Gluten free and delicious!
Big, Huge, Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 ¼ cup mixed GF flour*
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp xanthan gum
¼ cup ground flax

½ cup butter
½ cup brown sugar
½ c white sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla


handful of each:  raisins, chocolate chips, chopped walnuts

Heat oven to 350 degrees (gas mark 4).
Sift the first 4 dry ingredients, then stir in flax.  Beat butter and sugars until fluffy, then add egg and vanilla.  If you are using an electric hand beater, switch to a wooden spoon and gently stir in chocolate chips, walnuts and raisins.
Spoon well-spaced, well-rounded onto parchment lined cookie sheets.  Bake 7-10 minutes, depending on your oven.  Cookies edges will be brown and center no longer shiny when done.  Remove from oven and cool just enough to be able to pick up the cookie with your fingers.  Eat and enjoy! 
Note:  Makes 8-10 big cookies, but rounds can be made smaller to stretch the dough.

*International All-Purpose Baking Flour (international because of where flours where bought):
1/2 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup self-rising flour (from Australia...wasn't very good when used alone.  Rice/Maize flour based)
1 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup white rice flour
For every cup of starch I've used 1 tablespoon of purple sweet potato flour (ie/ 3 cups mixed flour use 3 tbsp potato flour)  note:  you can substitute potato flour for the sweet potato flour

Another way to use this wonderfully purple flour!!  Cookies come out with a slight purple-green tinge but taste wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment