Learning to live with Celiac Disease one day at a time

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Burger King

It's taken a few months to get up the nerve to walk into our local Burger King (yep, our local mall is full of American franchises) and ask for "satu Jr. Whopper, tanpa roti (one Jr Whopper without the bun).  Today I was so hungry and my day was so full that I figured it was worth a try if it meant getting something to fill the hole.  Without any medical advice here, and my nutritionist friend Chris has moved to the Philippines, I am pretty much my own advisor, so that means I need to experiment a little to get my answers.

When I placed my order, I was a little surprised that the girl at the till didn't blink an eye, and yelled back "NO BUN!!" (apparently my "tanpa roti" wasn't necessary!).  They even knew how to pack the sad little meat patty, so I figure there must be some no-carbs dieters somewhere out there who eat at BK.  It was a little tricky to eat the bun-less burger in my car as I headed to the next event on my list, but it didn't take me long to down my first 'burger' in 5 months.  Five months to the day, actually.  I've already eaten BK fries twice, with BK ketchup, without any symptoms that I can pinpoint.  Yet.  So, I now can add Burger King to my list of "Cans."  

I realize that each person is different, reactions and Celiac sensitivities are different, and probably each franchise location is different, but it's good to know that I can go to BK in our local mall now and enjoy lunch with my friends as they feed their kids.  Not sure I'm brave enough to try any other franchises yet, but I'll keep researching online and see what others have to say about those.

Note:  Twenty four hours later I've decided to change my mind about bunless BK burgers.  See next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment