Learning to live with Celiac Disease one day at a time

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Heavenly Cornbread

When I first started this blog it was my intention to try out new recipes and then post them.  The lack of recipes on here is a blazing indication of the lack of success that I've had with a lot of baking recipes.  Meals and sauces from scratch I can do, and I should post some of those.  However, I had a glimpse of success this last Sunday, when I combined a variety of recipes together and added a touch of my own to create what I now call Heavenly Cornbread.  This recipe comes on the tail of some very bitter, stale tasting homemade breads (which ended up in the trash), and after an overabundance of buckwheat-based pancakes and cakes, and so I swear, as I tasted my first bite, I heard angels singing.  S'truth!

Heavenly Cornbread
1 cup white rice flour
3/4 cup cornmeal (also called polenta)
3 Tablespoons of sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon guar gum or xanthan gum

1 Tablespoon butter or bacon grease (or mix)
2 beaten eggs
1 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees (gas mark 6).
Mix dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. 
Melt the one tablespoon of butter/bacon fat and swirl to coat the bottom and insides of a round baking pan, or 8x8 inch square baking pan.  In a small bowl, combine the eggs, milk, and 1/4 cup butter. Add this mixture all at once to the flour mixture and stir until just moistened.
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick poked into the centre comes out clean. Serve warm with butter and honey.

This recipe is good for about 2 more days if kept in fridge and microwaved.

Substitutions:
I cannot use a lot of milk while I can still have butter, so I substituted rice milk for the milk.
Outside of Indonesia you can find dairy-free margarine, which you can substitute for the butter.

Suggestions:
Throw in a 1/8 cup ground or whole flax seeds for extra flavour.

No comments:

Post a Comment